When I first heard the word “Kombucha”, it sounded like a term from The Lion King. I immediately found myself humming “Hakuna Matata”. This might sound odd, but my head is truly filled with song lyrics. One word can set me off on an entire musical extravaganza! My family is so lucky! When Kombucha was mentioned, I did not want to seem clueless, so I nodded, smiled and as soon as I had the chance, started typing this crazy word into my phone. I had to find out what all the hype was about.
Being an educator for over 20 years, I thought I would go to the dictionary first. The definition stated, “Kombucha is a live culture of multiple species of yeast and bacteria, grown to make a mildly alcoholic fermented beverage”. Ok…I then went to Google. I was inundated with an enormous amount of knowledge about the health benefits of Kombucha, which the ancient Chinese called the “Immortal Health Elixer”. This drink has been around for more than 2,000 years and contains a variety of healing properties! I was impressed by everything I read and continued my research adventure. How could a sweetened tea, fermented by a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) be so amazing? I had to learn more…
Keep in mind, I am no Kombucha expert! I am still loving this little research project of mine. But, these are just a few of the health benefits I have discovered about this powerhouse in a bottle!
- Detoxifies: Kombucha has a high amount of gluconic acid and probiotics which aids in detoxifying and counteracting liver cell toxicity.
- Boosts Energy: Due to the fermentation process, iron and small amounts of caffeine are released. This improves oxygen to the blood supply and boosts the energy producing process at the cellular level.
- Aids Digestion: Due to the high level of acids, probiotics and enzymes, Kombucha supports digestion and can help with stomach ulcers and heartburn.
- Strengthen Immune System: Kombucha contains large amounts of anti-oxidants and vitamin C, which helps fights free radicals and protects against inflammatory diseases.
- Fights Joint Inflammation: This powerhouse is packed with glucosamines, which support and preserve collagen. Kombucha can ease joint pain, arthritic pain and reduce the appearance of wrinkles on the skin.
~Sources: Journal of Medical Food & Journal of Food Microbiology
After reading that, I am sure you are thinking what I was thinking…where can I buy Kombucha! I started at my local grocery story, in the fruit and veggie department. There it was…a large display of brands and flavors! Where does one even start!? I purchased a few that sounded yummy and brought them home. I immediately had to try one. As I gazed into that cloudy goodness, I had a feeling that I should shake it up…DON’T DO THIS! Shaking kombucha before opening it is like shaking a can of COKE. Full on EXPLOSION! My kitchen was now covered in the healthy goodness of kombucha! After cleaning up my mess, I gently opened the next bottle. It had a very strong ginger taste, but I was able to get it down. Feeling a bit deflated, I was determined to find a kombucha brand that I loved!
For the next month, I tried as many brands of kombucha as I could find. And then…magic happened! My local grocery store started carrying a new brand of Kombucha. What? Did my eyes deceive me? Soda pop flavors! From that moment on, I was completely sold with the “LIVE” brand. I love these products as much as I love my Mini Cooper…and that is saying something! They taste truly amazing!
Visit drinklive.com for a more detailed information about their specific line of kombucha. I hope you enjoy this amazing line of products as much as I do!
Love Yourself…Embrace Yourself…Just Be You!