I love chocolate! I love to bake! This sweet combination can equal trouble when it comes to my focus of eating healthy! But, we all need to allow ourselves a little treat, here and there. I have made some “healthy” updates to these yummy brownies. I have also left the original ingredients, just in case your would prefer to incorporate those instead! Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder for healthy/ guilt free chocolate (cocoa powder works, too)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups pure cane sugar (granulated sugar works, too)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder (cocoa powder works, too)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk (regular milk works, too)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- mini chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray/grease a 9×13″ glass baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cacao, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a hand or stand mixer, mix together the olive oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and stir. Fold in the zucchini. If your mixture is still very dry, add up to 3 tablespoons water, 1 at a time. The batter will be thick, but not powdery. Add nuts, if you choose. Note: I love to grow zucchini! I shred my zucchini fresh, in the summer, and pack it in freezer bags and freeze to use year round. If you are using frozen zucchini, you will not need to add water.
4. Bake 25-30 minutes until the brownies spring back when gently touched. Let cool completely.
Frosting: Whisk butter, cacao, salt, and powdered sugar. Whisk in almond milk and vanilla. Spread over cooled brownies. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, if you wish. Enjoy!
Love Yourself…Embrace Yourself…Just Be You…